June 14, 2012

Help!



Alright... I need some advice! So we've been tackling the sleeping thing and now there's no more night feeds. The poppet - almost 18 months - is often waking up early in the mornings but I can handle that (thanks hubby). But lately, he's been wanting to breastfeed more often during the day. Usually, I feed him in the morning, before his lunchtime nap and then again before bedtime and he's been happy with that. But lately, he's constantly grabbing me, hands down my shirt, head in my chest, crying and cranky if I refuse. What's that about?
My theory is that he's taking pretty big developmental steps at the moment and so is checking in for regular comfort and respite from his big new world. But it's come at a time when I'm thinking about weaning him off the boob for good, which is seeming less and less likely or possible!
He's cranky and tantrum-y too lately, which is very unlike him. Perhaps just an age thing?

Anyone else had this experience? Ideas? Theories?
I'm feeling a lack of energy to tackle it at the moment, and am needing some outside help. But the internet overwhelms me for things like this and I seem to be the only one of my mummy friends still breastfeeding, so I thought I'd check in here!
I'd love to hear your thoughts...

9 comments:

  1. Oh gosh! I wish I could help you, but I weaned Maeve a few months ago. If it's any consolation, she only had a couple of cranky days during the process. It took about a month and I cut out a feeding every few days and substituted with full fat milk. Thankfully, she loved it! They must be nearly the same age because Maeve will be 18 months this month too! Good luck and stay strong! I know it's overwhelming. All the stages are, aren't they? Being a mama is the toughest gig in town. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin! Yes, think we might give the cow's milk substitutes a go. 18 months... a fun age isn't it?! xx

      Delete
  2. Oh gosh! I wish I could help you, but I weaned Maeve a few months ago. If it's any consolation, she only had a couple of cranky days during the process. It took about a month and I cut out a feeding every few days and substituted with full fat milk. Thankfully, she loved it! They must be nearly the same age because Maeve will be 18 months this month too! Good luck and stay strong! I know it's overwhelming. All the stages are, aren't they? Being a mama is the toughest gig in town. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lalie is obsessed with my boobs at the moment. Constant hand down my top and screams when I take it out. Even after I have FINISHED feeding her both sides, she throws a tantrum when I clip my bra back up... she just wants me to have my boobs out all. day. long! It's getting very exhausting (and I still feed at night if she wakes (only ever once and not every night). I've thought about weaning too but it seems like a huge battle that I don't want to fight at the moment.

    Sorry I'm not much help... but at least you know you're not alone (maybe it's age appropriate?)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, that is all so familiar. Thanks Claire, it really is great to hear that someone else is going through it too... If I have any breakthroughs I'll be sure to let you know! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm afraid I've never been able to nurse any of our 3 boys so I won't be able to offer much help here.
    But know that I'm thinking of you and will check in again soon to see how you're going.
    Hugs,
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronnie... I really appreciate your thoughts!

      Delete
  6. Hi Joanna,

    I weaned both my two girls at around 12 months and largely took my cues from them - It seemed like we were both ready then. I know that's not very helpful for you but I do wonder if you're butting heads with teething or something like that. Maybe have a break and try again in a few weeks. Hopefully that'll work. All the best, Alisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank Alisa, yes I'm not even bothering to try the weaning at the moment as he seems nowhere near ready. We'll try again in a while. Thanks for your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there...
Thanks for visiting me and my little blog. I love to hear from you, so please feel free to leave a comment and I will do my best to reply to each one.
xx joanna